Tuesday 21 May 2019

Pascale: I can’t keep up – Sunday on the North Coast

Yet again, an early start to catch the last few hours of the flood tide.  I take John back to Trwyn y Penrhyn and go back home for a bit of R&R.
I find split shifts really hard work, early starts and late finishes. The rest in between is more useful to the paddler.

Around lunchtime John phones that he has run out of tide and is coming in to land. We arrange to meet between Llanddulas and Rhyl wherever possible.
Having spend the last few days in more remote parts of Wales, I have forgotten how busy the North Coast can be on a sunny Sunday afternoon, cars, people, seaside amusements…. It does not take long for me to be stuck in traffic and John decides to continue paddling rather than wait on the beach.

Finally on the East side of Rhyl I find car parking close to the beach with a good landmark, just to realise that John has already paddled past, again.
In the end, John takes advantage of the wind against tide condition and surfs his way along the coast to the Point of Ayr.
This is a place I have long wanted to visit so I am happy about his chosen finish point. The sand and mud of the Dee estuary are impressive the man made stuff less so.

An earlier finish today is very welcome and I spend my afternoon drinking tea and eating cakes, pondering about the speed of a kayak versus a van.
John spends the afternoon, drying canoe kit and planning the next few days. Soon our little patch on the otherwise very tidy campsite looks like a small bomb explosion.

Pascale

No comments:

Post a Comment