Wednesday 15 May 2019

Day 4 - Llangrannog to Aberdovey

I find myself comfortably esconced in the dunes and I ponder on all the sand. Not a great fan of sand me, no siree. 

On exped I feel sand is a little like aches and pains, you tend to find it in places you didn't know you had places.

But I get ahead of myself. The day started trying to find an elusive leak in the front hatch whilst I waited for the tide and tried to dodge the burning sun.

Geoff kindly drove me back to the water and stood patiently while I had my traditional faff - "it'll all go in eventually, you'll see!" Then I had to dodge the surf, trying my best not to make a tit of myself in front of the illustrious audience.

And then the fun ended. It was a long, straight slog to Aberdovey. It was a gentle breeze on the nose all the way. Surprising how you can feel sorry for yourself, it was only a breeze - 25mph from the SW would have been something to bleat about. Count yourself lucky fatboy.

On the way I saw my first Shearwater; such beautiful birds. So elegant as they circled, just skimming the surface with their wingtips. Watching them land is a different story though. They don't so much land as pick a target and just stop flying when they get close enough. Spoils the elegant image a bit I thought.

Gannets, Razorbills, Guillemots (of course) and a Fulmar. A nosey seal poked her head up near Newquay too.

Once again there were countless Barrel jellyfish (I gave up at 2.6 million) along the route. Wildlife report over.

Llanrhystud 'did a Dinas' and just wouldn't drop behind. While Aberdovey took forever to arrive. But eventually I dodged the surf to land on the empty beach.

It had been a hard day, with a few 'wtf am I doing here?' moments. But it's surprising how quickly things can go from shit to not-so-bad.
 With the tent up, and food on the go, I watched a beautiful sunset across the peaceful beach. Did it make it make up for a tough day?

Of course not, it had been really shit at times.

Roll on tomorrow.

28nmn 6:45

No comments:

Post a Comment