Tuesday 21 May 2019

Day 8 - Trwyn y Penrhyn to Point of Ayr - Bonus!

As I move beyond Cardigan Bay it is not only the scenery that changes but so does the birdlife. Arriving at Penryhn last night I saw a pair of Black Guillemots, pretty though rather nervous little creatures. The Shearwater have been replaced with a large raft of Eider Ducks. A poor replacement I feel. Quantity over quality.

While the Shearwater were elegant and skillful, even stylish. The Eider are, well, a bit dim. A bit too 'duck-ish' for me.

The plan is to get as far along the North Wales coast as we can. However things are never a gift here, at high water there is a lot of concrete and not much sand.  And today I've only got a few hours of favourable tide to do it in.

A stupid-o'clock early start may make it more favourable tide-wise in the short term, but when combined with the late finish yesterday, I know those extra miles will be taken back later in fatigue, poor decisions and general faff (sounds like a pantomime character).

It's a misty start, can't see either the Great Orme, nor the Snowdonia mountains - stalwarts of the usual view from here.

Along Puffin Island, using the flow as a slingshot out towards (hopefully) Llandudno. A few miles out the mist starts to thin and the large headland of the Great Orme becomes a silhouette and then gains some definition and colour. Markers of diminishing distance.

I round it at 6 kts with Llandudno and the obligatory sunday-morning-drone of jet skis over to my right.

The tide continues nicely for a while then the speed drops to 5.7, then 5.4 and downwards to 5.0 -  here comes the slog!

But the catch works in my favour this time. I've had a steady NW breeze helping me along, and as the tide changes the wind-over-tide stacks up just enough to give me a few runs. The gain in speed on the surfs balances the tide and I continue at an acceptable pace - nice one.

Kinmel Bay slides by in the distance, closely followed by Rhyl. I can just make out the bright colours of the Great British sea-side. The sun is out now, it looks like it could be a good afternoon for the holders of candy-floss shares.

I'm tiring by Rhyl, time for the secret weapon - a pie from J. Swain Williams in Menai Bridge, the best pies in the land. 'Buy one, eat one, go faster!' (tm) 

 Pie Power gets me to Prestatyn where I sneak inside the perch line that marks the seaward end of the groins - the groins take the edge off the increasing foul tide and let me plod along.

Prestatyn fades into dunes and then the rather tired looking lighthouse at Point of Ayr appears. The sandy coastline is dotted with happy kids and eventually a rather knackered but smiling sea kayaker.

 Point of Ayr marks the entrance to the River Dee. It's all sand now, I can't go any further today.

 A much better day than hoped for puts me nicely in position to leap frog Chester onto the canals tomorrow.

Night, night.

28 nm - 6:30 hrs








No comments:

Post a Comment