Friday 17 May 2019

Day 5 - Aberdovey to Abersoch - Surface Tension Graveyard

The day starts early, 5ish with another tent reshuffle. In a moment of naïve romanticism I pitched last eve in the dunes - well I had no choice really. In the night the wind strengthened and soon the tent started shipping sand through the mesh panels, too much mesh not enough panel. Once the camels moved in I figured a little early morn reorientation was needed, followed by mutch spitting and eye rubbing. Oh the glamour.

And then we had a minor tragedy. Overnight my wee-wee bottle went missing! I propped the trolley with it as I loaded the boat after landing but on getting ready to repeat the process for the drag down to the water - no bottle! 

This was not just any old pee-bottle, this one had history. It had been on so many records and trips, through thick and thin,  even twice around the UK - a feat I think is unique in pee-bottle history. 
It was to take a place on the mantlepiece in retirement. We had bonded.

Alas no more. The trials and tribulations life throws at us.

If anybody finds it I'd be grateful if you could post it back. (You might want to wear gloves.)

The start was sluggish, with too much wind and too much 'wrong' tide. The plan was to head up the coast a short way to Tofanau and cross to the Llyn Peninsula. But I wasn't ready for a 19 miler in that wind. So further up the coast, looking for the wind to ease, the distance to get lower and me to wake up.

Paddling N of the river Dyfi you see a change in the scenery, the rolling lush landscape of West Wales is replaced with the stark gunmetal silhouettes of the Snowdonia mountains.

Eventually I stopped S of Fairbourne, feeling that I was paddling into a corner. 

Mid-afternoon conditions settled and Mummy's little soldier finally felt man enough to paddle out. Abersoch here we come.

The morning paddle saw no wildlife at all - always a bit of a hint. But the afternoon brought more Shearwater and Gannets, along with a scattering of Fulmars. 

About 5 miles out the surface of the water was covered in a black 'dust'. It turned out to be countless insects blown in the offshore wind. The numbers were incredible, the 'dust' stretched for an hour of paddling. The more capable, took an opportunity, and hitched a lift. Soon the big-pink-lifeboat was festooned with gnats, flies, bees and more - crawling everywhere. 

Though this insect redemption was marred to by a minor tragedy. A hapless fly landed just as I took a bite from my sandwich - yum. Guess neither of us saw that coming when we got up this morning.

Eventually I made it to Abersoch (Free trip to the Tudwal's with every 18 mile crossing!) to be met by the welcome sight of The Boss. In range of home now.

I fancied a boil-in-the-bag free night (jeez, the 'silver ones' make me fart like an elephant!) so we ventured into town for a pizza.  If you fancy a pizza, and you find yourself in Abersoch then try 'Crust'. The gentleman was friendly and helpful, and the pizza's were rather special.

A fart-free night of sleep followed.

26 nm - 06:45 - plus a couple of hours on  the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment