Monday 13 May 2019

Day 1 - Rhossili to Freshwater West - 12 May 19


'Hmm, deja vu again' says The Boss, I have to agree. Another day, another car park, another beach, another pile of kit.

Last minute changes forced by the weather meant the start point is Rhossili - straight into a 23 nm crossing - yee, er, ha...  Can't help but feel mildly stressed and majorly
underwhelmed by that one. It's been a while. But then we chose this to match the weather and conditions are fairly good - 10mph winds or so and a 2-3 ft swell. Not brilliant but good enough.

A sluggish start followed by a sarcastic bollocking by the lady from the church sees us into Rhossili. How was I to know it was 6 church meet day? (Does it give the prayers more volume? Help them get heard over all the others?)

Finally down the steep path, the trolley-bound Taran trying to overtake me as it spies the water, before the final pack on the sand. Goodbyes are said, the deck goes on and I dodge the surf to head out - once again.

It's chilly to start with, though the sun brings countless barrel jellyfish to the surface layers. The boat wallows and grumbles in the confused chop, the gps shows 24 nm to go.

The hours tick by: paddle - eat - drink - paddle. I see Gannets and Guilliemots, Razorbills and Fulmars. I'm even visited by a pair of tiny Storm Petrels. I wonder if their name has any significance for my future.

My destination lies over the horizon initially, it then first appears as a string of small islands before coalescing into one dark silhouette of coastline.

Finally I make it to St. Govans but I've been avoiding the truth. I need to continue to Linney and then Freshwater to get around the range. Otherwise the bomb-wangers will spoil my day tomorrow.  So another 9 nm is added.

I have yet to enjoy the paddle between St Govans and Linney Head, it always seems a tedious and unpleasant slog - today is no different.  The swell makes for an unpleasant and chaotic rebound, while the eddy just prolongs things.

It's starting to be a long day.  I ran out of steam at 5 hours... and enthusiasm at 6.

I round Linney Head finally, to contrasting feelings. Things have smoothed now, but I have to slog against a stronger eddy to the beach.

Finally the boat dodges through the sets for a nice dry landing. 7 hours and 32 nm.

It's sunny and warm. The Boss arrives with some welcome food, but soon she has to head home.

Quietly I pitch my tent and ponder the day as the sun goes down.

The adventure has started.



(Day 1 - 12 May 2019)

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device


3 comments:

  1. Say Hi to Frest West for me, that’s where we landed from Lands End- go on turn left it will only take you about 25 hours

    ReplyDelete