Sunday 19 May 2019

Day 7 - Porthdinllaen to Penrhyn (Beaumaris) - Homecoming Tedium


As I mentioned; north of the Dyfi the landscape changes, the Snowdonia mountains begin to flex their muscles here. But the Llyn Peninsula fools you for a while. It detours you away from the hills. The early stages are low grassy cliffs, interspersed with smudges of Blue Bells.

However paddling NE out of Porthdinllaen you are soon aware of the three peaks of Yr Eifl, the steep sides dropping down to the water's edge. The hills are back, looming over the coastline.

The wind softened a little over night and moved more NE. Just what you want for a 4 hr paddle to Dinas Dinlle - a headwind right on my big nose.

 6:30 otw, nice.

It was a tedious, sloppy, choppy crossing and I was only running on 3 cylinders. Another going-on-for-ever stage. Eventually I made it to DD, but it was high-water and I could see all the makings of a soggy make-a-tit-of-yourself-get-out ahead of me. So tag on a couple more miles against the flow to get out in the sanctuary of the Menai Straits. 

On the way a dangler took umbridge at my route and half-heartedly pelted me with stones (I think it was half-hearted, perhaps he was just weak from lack of exercise).

But finally it was done. Tide was against and home 15 mins away, International Rescue had driven around to cart me off - a comfy bed beckoned.

However going home has its downsides. Rather than a simple of life of boat, tent and drybags - if you want something it is in one or other of the first two, wrapped in the latter. It's hard to lose things, and good for a man with a routine. Life is simple, though slightly smelly.

But a few minutes at home and kit is everywhere. It's hard to resist the temptation to wash, dry and swap things. Admin pokes it's way into your life too - pointless crap creeps in. Not good for a man with a routine.

A few hours later I am prepping to get back on the water, just the length of the Menai Straits to paddle before bed. Once again it is just boat, blades, kit and me - relief.

The wind has dropped nicely, the early flow is sluggish but soon it's 6 kts towards Felenheli, that'll do. The NE winds could have made this a splashy slog, but now it is calm and almost perfect.

Passing Pwll Fanogl I meet 3 paddlers heading up the Straits too. Steve (Watt? forgive me) says they are paddling the Land's End to John o' Groats trip. I'm a bit too zonked to understand the implications of what he says. We chat for a while and then all move on, it's getting late. Later I realise and think of a list of questions I would/should have liked to ask. To Steve and all, hope it goes well.

The Straits is my home water, I've paddled many miles here, a couple of thousand get-ons here now. So I find it strange that I see it through different eyes tonight, it's not my usual training spot but another slightly new and alien part of the extended coastline. Even with all that familiarity, strange.

Anyway, less of that. As it falls to dusk I land at Trwyn y Penrhyn, and in best Mummies-little-soldier style I am once again whisked off and put to (my own) bed.

30 nm - 6:40 paddling.


1 comment: