Monday 27 May 2019

Day 12 - Stourport to Sharpness - Monster miles.

I am up early. There is no need for a stupid o'clock start though as the River Severn locks don't open until 08:00. The first one, Lincomb, is only a few minutes downriver.

Life in a tent usually brings an early-ish start though, the crows start, the pigeons too and the the man with digger fires it up at 07:00 - muppet.

I'm up anyway but how about those people still trying to sleep eh? Internal combustion engines and tent 'canvas' make for poor early-morning bedfellows I feel. 

If I ever become dictator-for-life then I think I will introduce a sort of 'campsite national service' where everyone has to experience campsite life for 2 weeks per year (4 for campsite owners) as a sort of reminder. You know just the basic stuff like:
The inconsideration of afore-mentioned early morning engine runs.
Requirement of late-night-fiddly 20p coins for showers - just add £1 to the flipping bill FFS. 
Positioning of toilet paper dispensers on the wall behind the toilet - who thought that one up?
And there's more...but we are here for canoeing I guess.

Anyway, Lickhill Manor was a pleasant place and I could have lingered, especially with such a long day ahead.

A quick check as I paddled in last night figured for just under 0.5 kt of flow in the river. Not brilliant but better than nowt.

Lincomb Lock is soon passed, though the lock-keeper doesn't seem too enamoured with the early morning trade. For the remaining locks the lock-keepers are friendly and helpful folks.

The river gracefully slips by - pleasant, though with little to get too excited about. A lunchtime stop brings a chat with the cows, though they soon tire of my company. Worcester seems pleasant and gives a change of scenery.
The miles slide peacefully by.

Below Upper Lode things change, tidal silt lines the banks and the extensive undergrowth has lifted far above the current water level. Approaching Gloucester and the river narrows and the flow increases, while the sides become steeper.

I arrive at Gloucester lock just in time to spy the lock-keeper disappearing - it is 16:30, perhaps it is a low-water early knock-off?  Just as I am about to contemplate a seriously nasty get-out, he returns.

Relieved, I wave like a mad-chick on a headland. He comes over to ask if I want to go through? Nope, just soliciting your vote for the EU elections I think - of course I want to go through.
"Hang on to the steps, I'll have to empty the lock. Can get a bit splashy. Takes about 10 mins."

Cripes! It is 'a bit splashy'. I move out into deeper water, and further from the dodgy looking outflow. I don't want to be part of that.

Once the lock is empty I paddle in. "You might want to get as far back as you can. It gets a bit splashy up front too...takes about 15 mins." There I sit floating inside what seems like a big stone coffin, anticipating  a max of 15 mins to my watery Armageddon. Great.

A small crowd form, awaiting my watery demise. But filling isn't as boisterous as emptying, and once they twig that I am likely to survive, they lose interest and move on.

To be fair the lock-keeper is helpful and friendly, and waves me off as I paddle into Gloucester Docks. Ahead lays the Sharpness Canal.

A number of tall-ships are starting to arrive for a meet/festival/do/regatta (whatever they do when they meet) and add further interest to the lively docks.

Ahead lays a further 13nm or so to Sharpness, the gateway to the salty-stuff once again.

Moving down the river I noticed the recent N/E winds had moved to SW. I had hoped it was just the afternoon breeze heading upriver, but now I start to feel there is a change in the air. Moving along the canal, I am definitely paddling into a stiffening headwind.

The miles start to drag, my arms are aching and right on cue my rudder jams up. Nice one. Oh well, this has been practised in training too. Inconvenient but not the end of the world.

Sharpness eventually arrives, and with it another visit from The Boss. A welcome boost to my outlook.

We portage around the lock, have a chat to the folks at the Severn Area Rescue Association and make off to a campsite.

One that, how should we say, contrasts to the pleasant surroundings of Lickhill Manor from the start of the day.

Later I point out to The Boss that I've worn the fingerprint off my LH little finger, it's gone all shiny. She suggests that I may want to consider a new career as a master criminal now I'm fingerprint-less. I suggest that a master criminal who can only use his little finger may have limited productivity. I also consider, though I keep it to myself, that master criminals have probably thought through the advantages of wearing gloves by now.

Oh yeah, 52nm and 11hrs paddling for the day.

Stourport to Sharpness - looks good on a map.


No comments:

Post a Comment