Wednesday 15 May 2019

Day 3 - Gannets, Guillemots, Razorbills

...And an unknown splash at Cemaes Head. That's your wildlife update.

Day 3 - Porth Gain to Llangranog - 31 nm - 6:35 hrs

In a moment of wild abandon last night I decided to pitch my tent on the sand by the slipway. I checked the tidemark, looked up the tide height, made a guess, added a bit for good luck, a bit more for bad luck and then put it up. 

In the early hours the volume of the waves reached the cut off point and there was nothing to it but to stick my head out marmot-like. My initial pitching choice was now a foot under water. Glad I'm not an optimist.

The bad-luck pitching point was dry: note not 'high and dry'. I watched for a while, until I figured we'd gone through high-water, then put my ear plugs in and went back to 'bed'. I figured if I was going to a tent-bound watery grave, then at least it could come quietly. 

The day for real started with the swearing builders and a few hours of mooching, while I waited for the tide.

There was a steady stream of visitors to sleepy little Poth Gain.

I watched a lady get out of her car, photo the public toilets and walk off.  Still pondering that one.

The strong sun and stiff SE wind remained, but happily no swell. I worked along the coast for a mile or two to take the edge out of the wind until the angles were good. Then I had a beam wind and the eddy to Stwumble Head. Easy life.

Once around Strrrumble Head the wind and sea went 'variable' - the shipping forecast's way of saying half-hearted and from anywhere, and the sun went into full Beau-geste(?) mode.

13 slogging nm to Cemaes Head. It went on and on. I went past Dinas Head 3 times I think. The tide decided to have a day off too. The excitement of the passing ferry coming out of Fishguard was as good as it got.

Cemaes finally arrived, and belatedly some flow. Conditions were too good to let go now, so time to extend to Llangranog.

Didn't know it was a surf beach.

The landing was smooth, the get-out clumsy and accordingly soggy.

But finally everything was hauled up the beach safely. 

Geoff and Joy met me and offered a bed for the night. I figured there was less threat of midnight submergence there. So bed it is then.

Cheers.




No comments:

Post a Comment