Friday 17 May 2019

Day 6 - part 2 - Off the water at Porthdinllaen

Sat around for the afternoon, waiting for tide and wind to balance out. Finally, and rather optimistically, I got back on after 5, to scrounge a few more miles - Porth Dinllaen or Trefor as destinations.

It was a N wind which blew as I made my way NE along a rock coast. Not a great combination. When the flow picked up at each small headland things became lumpy, with a couple of unpleasants thrown in there too.

I took to squeezing between the edge of the flow, as it deflected off the headlands, and the headlands themselves, in order to avoid the worst of it. This left me in a narrow zone between the unpleasant stuff and the breaking stuff. There wasn't much room for error at times.  Literally between the rock and a hard place.  

All those seemingly mindless loops in the Swellies in those miserable winter conditions now paid off. They were there to teach focus, parts of today used that focus.

Across the bays I was coming in rather than going out, to catch the slower, and  less boisterous, water. Sort of reverse scratching I suppose. But we slowly moved along, Taran and me.

Trefor was too far, and the siren call of Porthdinllaen was too much. I'd gained another 6 miles to total up to 27nm for the day - 5:40 on the water.

Schlaft gut.

1 comment:

  1. Great progress,
    the north winds were making them self known in Llandudno bay tonight

    ReplyDelete